Sunday, January 08, 2006

Smoked Meats = Lots of work.

Has anyone else gotten caught up in the "Smokin' my own meat" craze?? My parents recently gave me a smoker as a Christmas gift, and I took the plunge yesterday afternoon by inviting over the family for a smoked-meat-fest. Actually, to be more exact, I took the plunge Friday afternoon (purchasing the meats), a large portion of Friday evening (carefully concocting the correct dry rub and applying it to a 10 lb pork loin and 2 racks of spareribs), and pretty much all day Saturday (preparing the smoker, smoking the meat, glazing it, broiling it, serving, eating it, etc, etc). I never knew how much work is required to smoke your own...it's a process and a half! Not to mention the fact that the first time you do it, it's REALLY hard to trust the process...I found myself lifting the cover every half hour to make sure that there was still smoke, and that the meat was cooking. Anyway, long story short, I cooked it on too high a temperature for too long , and the resulting meat were favorful because of the rubs, but a little tough (i.e overdone). Next time, I'm setting the smoker on LOW LOW and cooking for HOURS AND HOURS. Slow and low, that's what they say.

Aside from that business, I had a great time with C&K&the kids and M&D. M&D stayed for the whole Pats game after dinner, and we had a fun time. I drank a few beers during the game (6-7), and woke up feeling a little "off". Oh well...Viva La Smoker!

No comments: