Monday, January 09, 2006

My recent "Web Awakening"

For someone who's worked with the internet in a professional capacity for quite awhile now, I've been relatively slow to adopt a lot of the new/cool applications out there:

  • I've just started blogging this past year.
  • I've just started utilizing an online photo manager (Flikr, or Yahoo!, if you will).
  • I've just started customizing my Google and Yahoo homepages this past year (I've also looked into tools like netvibes.com so I'm not locked into one proprietary search tool).
  • I've just started utilizing del.icio.us this month(social bookmarking).

I guess you could say that I'm way behind the curve, at least in respect to the average 14 year old internet user. It may seem strange as to why I've fallen behind, but there's a perfectly reasonable explanation why I'm a late bloomer: I work with the internet every single waking minute, and can explain to you how each of these sites operate from an architectural perspective (I'm a "big picture" person...I can code here and there, but I'm an architect at heart). I've visited and sold to a large percentage of the online Fortune 500, and I can tell you that I've seen and heard and learned from so many different tech pros about so many "new and improved web apps" that it would make your head spin. Previous to my recent "web awakening", it would come down to the fact that after being immersed in it for every waking minute during the work week, I've wasn't that interested in playing on the web during my free time. I'm still not (except for blogging every now and then). And this is what I've realized...it's not about "playing", it about being more efficient and productive in my own personal life. These tools are great because they make it so I can spend less time on the web (or less time doing the boring, menial tasks that we all hate...how many times have you had to recreate your bookmarks because Windows crashed? How many time have I worried about losing all the photos on my home computer because of a hard drive malfunction?). So, yeah...I WAS slow to adapt to the new web, but now I'm all "c'mere, you beautiful bastard". It's all going to be mobile in a few years anyway, so I might as well get used to it, right?

Am I the only one who was slow on the uptake?

BTW: http://openomy.com/ is a great little app for online file storage (1 gigbyte of free data). Check it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nah, you're not the only one to be slow on the "new fad" uptake. Just think of it as waiting for the fad phase to pass.