Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Gettin' up there

My birthday was yesterday...I just turned 31. That would mean that:

-10 years ago, I went out on a drinking binge in Hartford...ending up at the Russion Lady (I still have the shotglass)
-15 years ago, I received my drivers license

Holy crap!...It doesn't seem that long ago that I was in Junior High, stomaching the horrors of homeroom with Ms. "SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP" Aronson. So what does this make me now: An an "older young man" or a "younger old man"? I'd like to refer to myself as a "distinguished gentleman", but I don't think that would fool anyone (I've never been a gentlemen, and the only thing that's ever been distinguished in my life was the occasional joint). I still feel young, but I'm definately starting to see the signs that I'm getting older:

-I hate when people walk on my lawn
-I can pontificate on the benefits of Blue Cross over Aetna, and be passionate about the argument.
-I've discuss politics and religion more than I'd like to admit in the past few years (Thanks, Bush).
-I've gone from drinking Bud in college, to fine malted brews during/after college, only to find myself back at Bud again.
-I notice other people's clothes more than I ever did (hey, nice shirt).
-I spend a LOT of Friday nights at home these days (this is more a product of having a young child, but hey, that's a reason, too).
-I'm older than a large portion of the players in the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.
-The "Far Side" comics have been discontinued since Jan 1, 1995 (10 YEARS!!).
-I have a lot of grey hair (thankfully, the carpets DO NOT match the drapes...yet).

There are many more reason why I feel more "more young than old", but there's too many to list. I'm a firm believer that age is just a number...it's more about how you feel and how your pants fit. I feel pretty damn good at this point in my life, but the pants are a little snug...looks like it's treadmill time.

No comments: