Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yes, Sensei!!

So my 6-year-old daughter has been taking Karate lessons at pre-school for the last 8 months or so, and she really enjoys it. She'll come home on certain days, and she'll start showing off her moves (up, down, punch, kick!!!). Anywho, this has essentially been a once-a-week thing that's been really inexpensive (I think it was $20, or something along those lines). Long story short, we finally decided to take her to the school for a formalized training plan and WHAMMO! Is this stuff expensive!! $133 a month, with a commitment of at least 2 nights a week (most go for 3). Talk about sticker-shock! Anyway, the reason that I'm writing this is because the instructor just called to "put on the hard sell" after my wife gently pushed back earlier in the day. Here's the beginning of the conversation:

The Hagbag: Hi, this is The Hagbag.
Sensei: Hi Hagbag, this is Sensei.

Stop. Stop right there. Now, clearly, I didn't call myself "The Hagbag" when I answered my phone. HOWEVER...this guy called himself Sensei. Not Tim, or Mr. Karate...but Sensei. It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode with The Maestro. Am I supposed to call him Sensei? He's not my teacher, right? Didn't Daniel call Mr Miagi "Sensei", but everyone else call him Mr. Miagi? Actually, now that I think about ut, Daniel called him Mr. Miagi as well. Ok, now I'm just flat out confused. Maybe I'll just call him "Pat Morita". I thought it was kinda funny, and I thought I'd share. Let me know if you think those prices (and the associated time required) seem like a hard pill to swallow to you, too.

PS: I've missed you.

No comments: