Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Working from Home: Pro or Con?

Well, it's been a while since I last posted. What can I say? When you work in "The Office of Solitude", you don't really have much to banter about. With that said, here's a somewhat related thread that I ran into. I agree with some of what these people are saying, but at the end of the day, the postives of working from home FAR outweigh the negatives. Hmmm, let's see, according to this forum, the negative are as follows:

SLEEP LATE
WORK LESS
NO PEOPLE TO TALK TO
NO OFFICE TO GO TO

Wait...these are negatives??!?!?? Take it from someone who's worked both angles...nothing is better than working at home. If you have NO willpower what-so-ever when it comes to time management (similiar to how I have no willpower when it comes caramel-covered popcorn w/ cashews), then you probably shouldn't work from home. However, if you have better-than-average time management skills and you can make your deadlines, then this is a no-brainer. I haven't had to sit around the watercooler in almost 5 years...and I don't miss a second of it (the gossipy BS, that it). Sure, I miss going out for a few beers after work and the impromptu hallway meetings where many good ideas are conceived...but, I certainly enjoy working out, not commuting, and saving gas money SO much more. The gas money alone is worth my sanity:

25 miles (to work) x 2 (both ways) = 50 miles per day
Estimated Car consumption = 20 miles per gallon (on a good day, probably more like 16-18)
50 miles/day * 1 gallon/20 miles = 2.5 gallons per day
2.5 gallons/day * $2.10/gallon = $5.25 per day
$5.25 * 245 day (subtracting 3 weeks vacation) = $1286.25/year

OR

Average monthly savings of ~ $107.18, which compounded monthly at 5% over 30 years, totals $89,209.80!!! Just for S&G's, 10% totals $242,279.10!!!!

So yeah, after 30 years, I might not have a horde of work compadres, but I can certainly make a few friends with a big ole' party, right? Now, after all that, ask me if I'm actually saving my gas money :)

BTW: Shout out, Chappy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back