Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Don't go head-buttin' that umpire, again!

I once worked with a guy who believed that dinosaurs never existed...and "No", his name was not "Carl Everett". He's a "Fundamentalist Christian", and he believes in the literal interpretation of the Bible. We discussed our religious views over beers one evening, and he tried to sell me on the theory that "dinosaur bones were/are planted by Pro-Evolutionist Scientists & the innaccuracies associated with Carbon-Dating". I'm not going to go into the details of our conversation (or Creationism, Intellectual Design, or Evolution) but I left the restaurant thinking "WTF??!??!?" How could someone as intellectual and personable and likeable believe in something so out of whack from my own beliefs? I guess I was surprised at my own lack of worldliness....that I'm living in my own little reality where everything is what it is: blue is blue, black is black, a duck is a duck. It never even registered on my radar that there could possibly be people in the world that believe in Noah's Ark, or Adam and Eve, or David and Goliath, or the Energizer Bunny, or the Grinch (these are Bible stories, right? Ok, so my agnostic side shows through a bit). These were always parables to me...not based on facts, but something from whichI could possibly learn a lesson from. That's it...that's all. Nothing earth-shattering in this entry....just thought I'd let you know that there are people out there who believe in some shit that might be totally different from your shit, and you'll be like "Holy Shit!!".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Sox need to get Carl Everett back if they want to win again.

Anonymous said...

We landed on the moon?